Friday, June 29, 2007

The Heavens Declare the Glory of the Lord

The sky was absolutely beautiful tonight. The moon was bright and full and the stars were visible. The air was crisp and pure and the temperature was just right for star gazing (but a little on the chilly side). I was reveling in the beauty and majesty of such a vast expanse of sky and couldn't help but to reflect on how it mirrors, in part, God's glory. I don't believe that there is a single person who could look at that sky and not even wonder Who is behind all of it. God reveals Himself through nature, and His sky is one of the more majestic sights we are blessed with.


On a totally different note, I've been reading Elizabeth Gaskell's book "North and South," and one of the quotes she uses at the beginning of a chapter is this:

"Learn to win a lady's faith
Nobly as the thing is high;
Bravely, as for life and death -
With a loyal gravity.

Lead her from the festive boards,
Point her to the starry skies,
Guard her, by your truthful words,
Pure from courtship's flatteries."

These lines are taken from a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I kind of have to laugh at the poem to an extent, but in reality, I know that I want to be treated nobly and truthfully, and in short I would want a man to guard and protect me because he knows that I'm worth it. I thought this was interesting because it was written awhile ago. Today's roles for men and women are kind of screwed up, but I know that there are many young ladies who would like to have men take the lead in both a relationship and in the purity and veracity of that relationship. Fortunately, I believe that there are also those men who are willing to take that role.


Finally, here is a song that really reminds me that this life is passing. For all the mistakes and embarrassments and every thing else that happens in life, I know that they will all be gone in a little while.

"We are a moment, You are forever,
Lord of the ages, God before time;
We are a vapor, You are eternal,
Love everlasting, reigning on high.

Holy, holy Lord God Almighty, worthy is the Lamb Who was slain;
Highest praises honor and glory be unto Your name.

We are the broken, You are the healer,
Jesus, Redeemer, mighty to save;
You are the love song we'll sing forever,
bowing before You, blessing Your name."

Lynn DeShazo and Gary Sadler
"Be Unto Your name"

No comments: