Thursday, April 06, 2006

Pray, pray, pray! And my heart will still say that GOD IS GOOD

I've been doing a lot of thinking about prayer, in light of general and specific large things going on in my life right now. I have been particularly struck by how the Bible emphasizes prayer and how we should be praying continually. Also, we are blessed through prayer. We have an intimate relationship with God through prayer. We can do nothing without God, therefore we can do nothing without prayer. Even though I might not know how to pray, I still need to pour my heart out before God and be continually seeking Him. Here are a few verses that I have looked at:

"The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." Romans 8:26

"Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1Thessalonians 5:17-18 (emphasis added)

"And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. ... pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:15-16

"So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer." Ezra 8:24

"The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer." Psalm 6:9

"The prayer of the upright pleases [the Lord]." Proverbs 15:8b

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present you requests to God." Philippians 4:6

"He answered their prayers, because they trusted in Him." 1 Chronicles 5:20


Sorry that went on for a bit, but they are beautiful and assuring passages of Scripture. Prayer is so essential to my life, and yet I must confess that I do not place it in my "top activities" everyday. And not only that, but I should be praying continually, not sporadically and when I feel like it. I need to not pray based on my feelings and schedule but based on complete humility before God, knowing that if it weren't for Him, I would be a miserable wretch.

There are a few circumstances currently in my life that have brought on this reflection and are things that I would like prayer for.

1st: My mom's breast cancer has returned, for those who have been asking and praying (thank you). We just found out today. After four years of being "cancer-free," it is very difficult for her to have to go through it all again, especially since some time has passed. Although we knew she wasn't guarenteed to be healthy now, there was a fairly good chance. Please pray for my mom and dad as they contemplate the next steps. Please pray for strength and yet a weakness in Christ. Pray also for my siblings. It's hard. Now more than ever is when we all need to be anchoring our souls in the goodness of God. He never promised a perfect life, but He did promise us protection, comfort, and guidance. May we rest in that truth and be thankful.

2nd: This really pales in comparison to the first request, but as I am going to college next year, I need to first make a desicion and then trust the Lord to provide the money. I am confident in His provision, but sometimes it's hard to remember. Please pray also that my family and I would be preparing ourselves for next year, but not obsessively.

Thank you for reading, and for praying.

On a happy note, I just got my All-State music! The music that we get to sing is really pretty.

Btw, I use an NIV Bible.

One closing passage: (It's pretty self-explanitary(I have no idea how to spell that word))

"'Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.'" Revelation 21:3-4

Amen and Amen.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Oh. Elisabeth. My heart aches for your mom, your dad, you and your siblings. I have and will continue to pray. Your post was encouraging to me.
Even in the midst of difficult and uncertain things... we can call Him... "Holy, Good, Loving Father.."
We want to be as centered on God's word as Jesus was... committed to truth. GOD is GOOD and Romans 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those that love God.

We will be praying!
your sister in our Lord... Linda

Anonymous said...

Thank you, dear daughter, for your encouraging and insightful post. I found it helpful and uplifting...Daddy

Elisabeth said...

Thank you so much for your comments and prayers, Linda, Dad, and Mrs. T. Isn't it cool how God graciously provides earthly comfort from His children to His children when we need his help? (ok, sorry if that's too confusing)