Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Say What??

You know when you hear something in the right context, and then it is thrown out of context by some hopefully well-meaning person? For example, in the book A Rumor of War, by Philip Caputo, one of the subtitles to a chapter is a verse from Matthew. (I don't remember the verse) The verse is used completely out of context and I addressed that in a paper that I had to write about the book (about a year and a half ago). The teacher wrote on my paper that not everything has to be used in it's correct context. I can't help but think that he meant the Bible is the only thing that is "o.k." to use out of context. Using something out of context just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, back on track. (Apparently I haven't quite gotten over that.) In my chorus class we sing a nice little refrain as part of our warm-ups. Perhaps some of you are familiar with it:

"Don't build your house on Sandy Land.
Don't build it to close to the shore.
Well, it might be kind of nice,
But you'll have to build it twice,
Yes you'll have to build your house once more.

You've got to build your house upon a rock.
With a strong foundation on a solid spot.
So when the rains come tumbl'n down,
You won't have to build no more."

It's a really cool song, especially in a round. However, in chorus, there is a slight variation on words. Instead of building your house "upon" a rock, you have to build your house "just like" a rock. Now, probably no one in the class even cares, much less knows the backgroud of the song, or what it is referring to, but that one slight variation changes the whole meaning in a huge way.

The song is taken from the parable in Matthew 7, talking about a life with Christ vs. a life without. Building upon the rock is to submit and take delight in Christ's gift of salvation and in recognizing that He is the one who does the life-changing work and that I am incapable of building without Him. Building just like a rock is to try and copy Christ and to take control of life and circumstances, missing the point of the song and parable entirely.

Unfortunately, most of the world falls into the "I can do it" mindset, not even understanding that they are doomed from the start. As I have been thinking about this, I think I need to be admonished for not sharing the gospel more to those who are confused between true salvation and a copycat version that won't last. Also, it serves as a good reminder that I need to not forget that Christ is my foundation. It is so easy to get cocky/proud and then I try to take over the wheel. Not in my life as a whole, but in certain areas. God has been kind to point this out when it happens, even though it is a tough lesson.

2 comments:

G. F. McDowell said...

I'd have to say that the very basis of wit and humor is stripping words and phrases of their proper contexts. Sometimes it is okay, but never when reading to interpret.

Linda said...

and never knowingly about scripture.