Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Immigration

So, I was wondering if anyone felt like sharing their opinions on all of the illegal immigration controversies that have been so prevalent in the news and congress. I haven't followed it much, but we did have a pretty intense, opinionated discussion about it in class the other day. We played "four corners" where a statement is read and then everyone goes to a corner depending on whether they agree, strongly agree, disagree, or strongly disagree. What made it especially interesting and tense was that we had two ladies from Bosnia in our class.

One of the statements was: "Immigrants in general are taking jobs away from Americans." Keep in mind, these were open--we were free to agree or disagree, as long as we had a reason.

Another one was a scenario: "If a country falls into economic crisis, the U.S. should allow people from that country to immigrate to the U.S." It was not specified if there would be a certain quota or not.

The one that caused a lot of controversy, though, was this: "Immigrants in the U.S. have to know the English Language."

I know that this doesn't deal specifically with the illegal immigration problem, but with immigration in general. I will post my opinions tomorrow, or when I get the chance. Any thoughts, or is this a topic that most people have pushed aside???

7 comments:

G. F. McDowell said...

SO, when did I say your sister had a better sense of humor than you??

Elisabeth said...

she just passed along a comment that you said at youth group.

G. F. McDowell said...

I think I may well have said it, but on the Katrina trip, instead.

G. F. McDowell said...

P.S. I think you need to tuck your shirt in. :p

Elisabeth said...

oh, sorry. What???

G. F. McDowell said...

your new profile photo. Your turquoise/ teal shirt tail is showing. It's meant to be a joke, which you'd know if you had a sense of humor. (ha!)

Elisabeth said...

funny...touche