Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Political Comments

O.K., so I'm not much of a politician, but I do know that to compare our country's president to Adolf Hitler is not very respectful, nor is it nice.

There are a couple of things wrong with Jay Bennish's lecture. First there is the obvious violation of most school policies, which is for teachers to keep their personal views to themselves while trying to educate their students in a balanced manner. Bennish's lecture does not adequately present both sides of the political arguments about Iraq, Bush, and our world in general. True, he does give a disclaimer, but it doesn't do the trick.

Also, God has commanded us to be respectful to our governing authorities. Not to be repetitive, but the comparison is not meant to be respectful in any way. Bennish probably doesn't have a category for God, but it is a good reminder for those who claim to be Christians, such as myself, that we need to not bash our leaders because that would be bashing God.

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."
Romans 13:1-7

2 comments:

G. F. McDowell said...

I'd like to take issue with one of your statements, Elisabeth. Please see this only as constructive criticism. I am a politics junkie; Political Science was one of my major fields of study at UVM. Quoting Elisabeth: First there is the obvious violation of most school policies, which is for teachers to keep their personal views to themselves while trying to educate their students in a balanced manner. In this situation, where it was a geography teacher waxing political to the detriment of covering the curriculum, clearly the teacher was out of line. On the other hand, I think it is naive to expect and demand that teachers in schools will act as neutral vessels of knowledge. I would much rather have a teacher who is opinionated and fair than one who is neutral. I have had two kinds of liberal professors at UVM. The first kind I'll call, "bad" liberals. These are the ones who THINK they're neutral when they are being very left-wing, and they demand this same "neutrality" from their students. This causes students to check their brains at the door and parrot the professor's views right back at him. Case and point: the Race and Culture class at UVM. So long as I parroted the point of view that white male heterosexuals were the scum of the earth, I did fine. I didn't even have to study for the exams. There was no learning going on in the classroom, and I think race relations is an area where there can be an awful lot learned. The second type are what I call, "good" liberals who have their point of view, are not ashamed to admit it, yet are not hostile to those who oppose them, and will give a fair grade to conservatives, so long as they produce quality work.

So, I agree that the wrong kind of bias in a classroom can destroy the learning environment, but I'd also have to say that in the right environment, a teacher sharing his point of view when it is relevant to the class, and is not done in a hostile way, stimulates discussion and causes minds to grow.

Elisabeth said...

First, I don't have a very political mindset. I'm pretty bad at politics. Second, you definately have a point. I think I've just had the "I'm being neutral but not really" teachers, and that's where I'm coming from. I guess I just have to wait until college and hopefully I will be exposed to other mindsets!