Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Responsibility

We have been having really weird, unpredictable weather. Hmmm, that would make sense, since this is VT. Last week we had 18 inches of snow in one night and yesterday there was "torrential" rain storms and lots of fog. We lost all of our snow in less than a week!

Oh well.

On Sunday I attended a Cross Training meeting. The discussion varied, but we talked a lot about taking responsibility for our actions under the narrower topic of homosexuality. The Bible is very clear about how we have sinned and are responsible for it, but, praise God, it is also very clear about salvation and hope in Christ. Anyway, as an example of not taking responsibilty, the Stella Awards were mentioned. While these are funny to a certain extent, they are also kind of sad. I mean, when someone starts sueing magicians because he thinks he is "god" and his powers are being taken away, the matter becomes pretty grave. I am tempted to say "how stupid," but it makes me think about how I view responsibility in my life.

Do I take responsibility for the right things and the right reasons? Do I follow through with responsibility? Do I fully admit, in my heart, that my sins are my fault, not the fault of another? Do I take responsibility for my actions seriously?

While I haven't gone around sueing companies and such for very silly things, I know that I am guilty of blameshifting. Responsibility for my actions doesn't always come first. This provides food for thought, especially since most of my actions affect others and have the ability to cause others to stumble.

No comments: