Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Shakespearian Inspiration

Ok, so this might seem corny, but for my poetry class I wrote a poem inspired by Shakespeare. In AP lit I just finished reading King Lear so the language is in my head. It came out in my poem. I laughed as I wrote this...maybe I just have an odd sense of humor, but I think it is funny. I'm not offended if you think it is just dumb.



Italy

Lush, verdant

The albatross became bodacious…

Oh beauteous verse to mine ear dost lend, but,

What purpose dost the albatross serve?


Does it represent a regal scoundrel, a prince amongst the gulls

Or perhaps just a glimpse of white amongst the green?

And how came it be bodacious?


Art thou bold, oh bird, to make thine artist describe thee as such?

Dost thou steal and pilfer, to earn ye such a name?


Thy mysterious ways have caused no little confusion to thine observers.

And what have ye to say to such accusations?

Louder, my bird, louder!

What?! Doest thou naught but squawk? Come bird, do thy kind better.


I knowest not how thou came to be called bodacious.

Thou, who canst neither speak nor be clever,

Thou who is but a dumb bird and used for naught.


Thee I do banish from this verse

Thee who only dost mars it and wrecks thy country’s beauty.

Farewell young bird, who canst do good, I leave thee forever by the sea.

Italy

Lush, verdant

The elephant…

Aie! When will the injustice given this poor pen end?

9 comments:

G. F. McDowell said...

I'd like to see the line, "Out, vile jelly! Where is thy splendour now?" in poetry, but I suppose you're not the one to ask. That was nice.

Elisabeth said...

ewwwwwww.... i'm glad cornwall dies...nope, sorry, can't put that in (unless, of course, I am moved to write about obstinate jam)

Linda said...

I haven't done enough reading apparently. I needed to look up words on websters... It sounded nice to read. :-)

Hope you can come to the Pride & Prejudice Showing tomorrow..

Elisabeth said...

I'm sorry I can't come--I had already planned something. I hope you have fun and a lot of people. It's really good, but nothing tops the original

G. F. McDowell said...

perhaps about a jar that won't come open?

Elisabeth said...

sounds good. maybe you should write it : )

Anonymous said...

Hey Elisabeth. Blogging seems like fun. I really want one. I like the poem even better than the first time I read it.

Elisabeth said...

I'm guessing this is a sister...which one?? (if not, sorry)

Anonymous said...

It's Hannah-See ya later